background

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Three is for

THREE people I don't see enough of came to visit this week!


My oldest sister, Kristin, and two of her kids had a funeral to go to and so we got to see them for a bit. We went to the funeral with them but also sat around and visited, ate a great meal at my mom's (including her summertime favorite-Watermelon Ice-Cream, see pics and recipe below) and did some shopping. This is the first time in a long time that both of my sisters have lived super far away from us. It is good when they can come back and visit but when they do, it makes me realize that we don't see near enough of them.



Watermelon Ice-Cream




My mom got this recipe from a Tupperware party wayyyy back in the day. It requires some putting together but it is totally worth it. We have begged my mom to make it at least once every summer for as long as I can remember. You must try it, it is divine! Here's what you do:


Buy one quart of lime sherbet, one quart of strawberry ice-cream and one package of mini chocolate chips. Let both ice creams soften in their cartons. You'll need two nesting bowls. Spread the softened lime sherbet inside the large bowl making a green layer around the edge of the bowl as much as possible. Let it harden a bit in the freezer but not too much. when it is hard enough to allow the small bowl to rest on top of the green layer without sinking to the bottom of the large bowl, set the small bowl inside and place it back in the freezer until it is hard. While it is in the freezer, empty the strawberry ice-cream into a large bowl and stir in the mini chocolate chips. Then, take the larger bowl from the freezer and remove the small bowl from it. Fill the empty cavity with the strawberry ice-cream mixture and put it back in the freezer until it is set.


When you're ready to serve it, take it out of the freezer and soak the bowl in hot water to loosen the green layer from the sides. Turn the bowl over onto a cutting board so the "half melon" is resting flat. Now you're ready to slice it and eat it! The mix of the tart lime with the creamy, chocolaty strawberry ice-cream is so surprising and delicious!


It is a definite family favorite! Good stuff:)

3 comments:

Erika said...

This looks very yummy, but I'm not patient enough to go through all of those steps! You'll have to bring it to one of our pot luck deals this year.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, I am a sucka for stuff like this. So, I will be snagging this recipe and sharing it brought to me via Stephanie! ;)

Mindi said...

oh, stephanie--you got me right where it counts. i'm a sucka for this kind of stuff.....

i am emailing this to my megan so she can make it--thanks for the recipie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...