background

Saturday, May 10, 2008

The End of an Era

We are not car people at this house. I never have been and neither has Steve. When I say that, what I mean is, we have never paid much attention to cars or worried about what kind of car we drive. In fact, when I was in college and dating, I actually found myself more attracted to someone who drove a "lesser" of a car (case in point; Steve who drove a Daihatsu Rocky) or who didn't worry about things like rims and spoilers. I guess in my mind, it doesn't make sense that a person is defined by the kind of car they drive or that someone is "cooler" than someone else because their car is "cooler." Anyway, that is one of the reasons it has never bothered me to drive a min van. In fact, the opposite is true. I have LOVED the convenience a mini van affords a growing family. They are designed to make families more comfortable when they travel! I have LOVED that! Maybe that is why Thursday was so bitter sweet for me. It was the end of an era. With all the commuting we are doing (and it doesn't look like it will end anytime soon) Steve had been toying with the idea of downsizing to a sedan for better gas mileage. I know we only have two kids, but those two kids have friends and relatives that need to be toted around from time to time, not to mention all the preschool field trips where it was packed to the brim with happy, comfortable kids. Nope, I did not like the idea of selling the van. To me it was like putting the energy out in to the universe that, no. . .we won't be having any more kids and I will never stay home and run kids to soccer or teach preschool and go on field trips. Making the decision to sell the van was really like unraveling a huge knot of unknown twist and turns about my life. When we first decided to become a VAN family, back in 2002, a lot of people raised their eyebrows. We were still a young family and only had one child with one on the way. Why would we need to "stoop so low" as to buy a van? Well, Steve was in a carpool at the time and that was our main reason for doing it, but once we did, we've never looked back. It is soooo great to slide open those side doors and have your little kiddos right there, easy access, plenty of room to change a diaper, tote all the baby and kid paraphernalia and so on. Vans are great! But, it is the end of an era for us. We are now "sedan" people again. Steve found a GREAT deal on a FSBO Honda Accord that he couldn't pass up. And, to make things even more convenient, one of the teachers at our school was looking to upgrade to a mini van and fell in love with ours. So, it was simple really. A no brainer. I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I didn't even know what the new car looked like until two days after Steve bought it (see, not concerned with cars)! But, we took our first family drive in it yesterday and I gotta say, it is pretty comfortable and really nice. Yes, there is still room to tote our two cute kids and some of their stuff. Still room enough for our new carpool which consists of only one extra adult. And, if we do become soooo blessed to have another baby, the car seat can sit snugly between my two sweet boys who can entertain him/her in our travels. Maybe it won't be so bad? We can always become van people again, someday.


One last photo in front of our Mazda MPV. My only regret is that I look like Frumposaurus Rex in this picture. And our new 2007 Honda Accord. It's the start of something new. . .

9 comments:

Allison said...

I'll admit I'm a car person. Or a person who likes to have a nice ride! We are now a van family too and I have come to not care so much anymore what kind of car I drive as long as it's nice and we can all ride in it comfortable. We only bought our van a year ago but I have since wanted a car again. Just for the gas reason. It sure is nice to pack it full of family and friends and head out. The van has sure come in handy and with baby number 3 joining us soon I'm sure I'll like it even more. I love how it's so easy to get the kids in and out. I can't imagine hefting them into a huge SUV! Plus with gas these days we wouldn't even leave the drive way!!!

Kari said...

I was always into the guys who "took car" of their cars! I find it quite sexy when a guy rides by in a nice car! That's me. As I look back, I guess I'm a little shallow, cause all my boyfriends had really nice cars. My husband is one of those guys! Still is. I married a mechanic who loves nice, fast cars! Anyways, I wish I could trade my SUV for a van. Seriously. I want an Odyssey so bad, it's killing me. Oscar knows I want it... so maybe for Mothers Day?? yah right!

Laura and her boys! said...

Oh, the MPV is gone! I can't believe it! But your new car looks way nice and super cute!!! Just so you know, I haven't missed my van that much except when I want to take the boys' friends along then it kind of sucks, but my new sporty mini-suv is cute and I love it! Hope you love yours too!

SarahMarie said...

Well I am glad you got your new car. I am sure you will love it and if there is a new addition it will fit. I never was into guys that had cool rides. I personally thought it was a turn off. I had a college friend who said, "When the truck is jacked up or if they have a big truck, it is because they are lacking something else." I still agree with her on that today. Well I am jealous now that your new car is newer than mine.

Kari said...

It's Mother's day, and it's almost over, and I see Oscar in bed, so I doubt I'm getting an Odyssey today!

btw-- it's "took care" of their cars!

And I don't know why they graduated so early. I actually didn't find out until 2 days before?? crazy.

raw mom said...

awww. i like your new car, though. i have a really hard selling cars. as dumb as it is, i LOVE my cars. and to see them go when i dont really want them too is tough for me! but your accord is a smart decision for now, right! and you TOTALLY can get a van again one day! oxoxox

Mindi said...

now all you need to do is slam it down and put some 22's on it and then some sweet undercarriage purple lighting and you are good to go....

congrats!

Lewyville said...

Another reason I feel old....I think vans are cool!!

Amy M. said...

Steph,
I am so sad that you no longer belong in the van club. Maybe you will come back someday. Ha ha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...