background

Sunday, April 6, 2008

We are Seriously Blessed!


Wow! I am so proud to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Ladder Day Saints today! What a powerful general conference this was. I have never been more inspired and more motivated by the speakers and the spirit of a conference than this one (and that is a BIG statement because there have been some great conferences). I am so impressed with our prophet, President Thomas S. Monson. I have always loved this man, his talks have always been among my favorite. I enjoyed, so much, getting to learn more about him. I look forward to the direction and strength that he will give our church in the years to come. Did anyone else feel like this conference went by super, duper fast? Especially this Sunday Afternoon Session. When President Monson was announced to be the concluding speaker, Steve and I had to look at the clock. We couldn't believe it was almost over! We have been on the edge of our seats with the wonderful messages that have been given to us this past two days. I've jotted some notes down in one of my notebooks, but I wanted to include one message, that is fresh in my mind, here in this blog. The advice given to mothers by M. Russell Ballard. He said, "Treasure the 'DO IT' a little more and the 'GET IT DONE' a little less." He talked of a woman who had rushed through her life and after her kids were grown and gone, she looked back on an old photograph. The children were ages six, four and one and the photo was taken outside. They had eaten a picnic and had played. She wished she could remember what her kids ate that day. What they had talked about and what they had looked like that night after they had been tucked in bed and were sleeping. She had been in such a hurry to get them bathed and sent to bed, she didn't take time to enjoy them. I gotta say, I could have very well been this woman a few years back. I am so thankful that we have had the trial of not being able to have more children because the biggest blessing that has come from it has been my need to stop and enjoy my kids on a day to day basis. I don't want to look back on my life and feel that I have missed anything and that I can't recall the small and precious things. This is going to sound LAME, but I have to give props to this whole blogging thing. It is a fabulous invention and now that I am realizing how simple it is, I have MADE time in my life for REMEMBERING. Yes, some of my posts are a bit superficial, lighthearted, and fun, but they are as much a part of me as my conviction and dedication to my faith and family. So, those of you out there who have not yet converted to the blogging world yet, you should consider it. I can definitely now say that for me (a pretty busy gal) it has been a good answer to the dilemma of keeping track of it all. So, for today . . .a day I want to remember. . .just for the record; We ate grilled ham and cheese sandwiches, apples, and garlic pita chips for lunch. The boys complained about the ham so I took it off and Steve ate it. We stayed in our jammies the ENTIRE span of the day and we giggled and played in between sessions. In fact, today was the first day that Lewis officially laughed so hard, he cried (a crazy concept for him to understand). We have had a wonderful, relaxing two days of conference and our home is bursting with the left over feelings of the spirit! Can't WAIT until. . .
a) the next month's Ensign comes so I can re-read my fave talks, and
b) October comes so we can enjoy general conference again!
Indeed we are SERIOUSLY blessed!

5 comments:

Jaime said...

I am with you! I loved conference and Thomas S. Monson is so wonderful! I have grown so attached to him and his talks! He is amazing!
I also feel blessed for our trial of conceiving. I know it sounds funny but I have loved my pregnancy all the more, and I look forward to every day just stepping back and enjoying being a mom rather than trying to get through it. Anyhoo, cute blog!

Laura and her boys! said...

Steph, you are such a great gal! I'm really inspired by what you put in your blog! It's fun to be started. Now, I just got to work on keeping up. Maybe I should forget about the past and work on the present. Could I actually do that?

Steph said...

Really? I wondered if this post came across as a little "preachy," but then I decided, even though the world is seeing it, it is for me. It was something I wanted to remember! Thanks for your comment!

Steph said...

Oh and Laura, P.S.- Yes, you can forget about the past and let us all in on the present. your life is sooo exciting. Just the few hours I was there tonight I thought of about 5 posts you could do. Your kids are a riot!

Tammy said...

Steph - I love that you include things like this and your lists and other great things on your blog! You have such a cute family - I'm totally impressed with you and your cute blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...