background

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Favorite FIVE of the Week!

This week was all about SURVIVAL! Steve and I had a grueling summer class that we needed to take and it required us to sit in a classroom everyday for 6-7 hours (minus Tuesday that we took off for Conner's birthday-don't think we got out of the homework assignments though)! I'm gonna have to chat with that principal of mine and ask him about all these classes and trainings I've been having to participate in this summer! MAN! Talk about a ton of work! Actually, Steve had to take this one too, so I'm sure there was nothing that could have been done! It better be worth it though! Thank heavens we are done! Here are some of the highlights from our week that made it all bearable:

5- Family, Friends and BOOKS! Thanks to all of our awesome family members and friends who were willing to let our boys hang out with them this week while Steve and I had our noses to the books. Our kids had a blast swimming, riding bikes, playing video games and basically hanging out with all of you! Thanks for showing them such a great time! Also, can I just mention that my husband is a genius! He set up the best "Summer Book Program" for our boys. It has been coming in especially handy with me being on the computer so much, typing papers for my classes (Steve only had to take the one class, I have two). The kids just "hang out" behind me reading books and checking them off their lists while I slave away. Steve challenged the boys to read 50 books this summer. Lewis actually wanted to do 100 so we typed up his list with 100 books on it, but a lot of them are chapter books, so we'll see. He is totally motivated to do it though, I wouldn't be surprised if he actually makes it there. Anyway, this was so easy to set up and our boys love it. We just went around the house and let the boys choose any books they wanted to and put them in a tote. We typed up the list and as they finish a book, they have Steve or me sign it off. They put their finished books in another tote and the goal is to fill it up each week. We have emptied it a couple of times already and they are reading through their books pretty steadily. It's been especially great since Steve and I have had to do so much reading of our own lately! I guess it's like they say, the family that reads together. . .



4- Conner's Baseball Party! Seriously. My boys have the most AWESOME baseball coach EVER! He arranged for the team to walk on to the field with the Roadrunner's (our local baseball team) during their game Monday night as part of their season finale party! They had a cute little awards ceremony at Coach Todd's house first (where Conner received a trophy and the award for "fastest runner") and then met at the field to line up with the pros! Conner (#11) walked on with his buddy Hayden and the center field guy #29. It was darling to watch and the kids had a blast! They spent the rest of the night running around the stadium, chasing Reggy the Roadrunner and driving him completely batty I'm sure! I'm not sure if the Roadrunners won the game (we left around the fourth inning -umm, homework!) but it was an absolute GREAT time! Also, come July 4th, we get to do it all over again for Lewis! WOO HOO! Coach Todd Rocks!



3- Father and Son Home Run Challenge! During the baseball game, Lewis and Steve were chosen to do the "Father and Son Home Run Challenge" which was essentially, Lewis hitting the ball off of the T and then wherever it landed, Steve hat to hit from that point and try to knock it out of the field. I think they both did a fine job. It really did look as though it might go over the wall, only about two feet short actually. What would they have won if it did? Apparently, a signed baseball from the team. Instead, we got two free passes to the cheap seats next time we're up for a game of baseball! Maybe my men will get a chance to redeem themselves!



2- Lewis' first Pack Meeting. I am proud of "Lew Dog" for making it to Bobcat rank so quickly! He learned all his stuff this week with Steve and was ready for his award by Thursday night. The pack meeting was fun (minus all the kooky cheers and salutes they made us do) and we all got to take home a raffle prize! Woo Hoo! So far, Scouts has been great for Lewis and he is excited to work on his goals every day!


1- Craw Fish Boil Part 2- Steve had been wanting to take the boys crawdad fishing for awhile. Finally he just dropped everything and loaded the boys up and headed out to the lake yesterday. They were gone for a few hours and as soon as they got home they started boiling the poor things up! Steve ate them all, Conner was actually more scared of them cooked then when they were alive! Maybe he was afraid Steve would make him eat them! No chance! Steve ate them all and surprisingly enough, he is still alive! From the looks of the pictures, I guess they had a good time!


Bonus Fave:
Click HERE to see the "So You Think You can Dance" Dance of the Week!

7 comments:

J Fo said...

Hey! I think that your 5 things is such a cute idea. But how the heck do you keep up with it in the midst of your summer classes? I have a confession...I'm a total "So You Think You Can Dance" junkie, and so is Greg. Which is wierd because neither of us have ANY dance background. It's just fun to get to know these people and watch them grow. Plus, it's just cool! So how's that for a comment?!

raw mom said...

craw fish boil!! yikes! let me just say that i am TOTALLY setting up a summer book reading program! i LOVE it! oh also, is it still okay if i come take pics at lewis' baptism? i would love to do it! call me when you get a chance!

Anonymous said...

Great pics and fun times! I love the idea about the summer book reading program-great idea. Not so sure about the crawfish boil, would probably eat them just not in to the cooking them part! :( I am a wimp what can I say?

jess said...

Great idea with the summer reading program. You asked about the H.S. Musical Play, we did the matinee and the kids liked it, it was a little cheezy but for the most part it was pretty good. Just know it isn't the movie! John even tolerated it so that says a lot (I think he liked watching our kids sing the songs right along with it). It was my little Bridger's first play and he was entertained.

mike and bri smith said...

Sounds like a fun week. I know how crazy it can be trying to study and write papers with kids. We think Steve is brilliant for coming up with the reading program and we think we are going to copy you guys. Thanks for the great idea..

Amy M. said...

Steph,
I am so impressed with your bloggin skills. How do you down-load stuff like the "So you think you can dance" stuff. I am such a dope with this computer stuff. I love your 5 of the week. Thats a great idea. When am I going to see all of you favorite friends of mine. Its been forever.

Laura and her boys! said...

So the book thing. Such a great idea! My boys haven't wanted to read at all this summer. I definitely need to put away the playstation and the computer and make them pick up some books.

Also, can't wait for the baseball game tonight! I am totally stoked to get some great pictures and have an absolute blast with the boys!

Way to go Lewis on the Bobcat!!! And thanks to Steve and Lewis for getting Peyton excited as well. He now has finished all his requirements and will be getting it next week at his pack meeting. He also passed off a few more things, and the baseball game will be yet another thing! I'm not much of a boy scout mom, but Peyton seems to enjoy it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...