background

Monday, October 26, 2009

Getting a Jump Start on Thankfulness

Lately I feel I have been getting a little head start on the season of GRATEFULNESS and THANKSGIVING. I have so much to be thankful for this year. In my mind a little list plays over and over again. I want to focus on my two oldest boys for this post though. I haven't done many posts specifically about them lately. I guess it is the "new" mommy in me that wants to capture all those FIRST moments and feelings with baby Brayden. But, those two BIG BOYS have been busily going about their little lives lately, being amazing and growing too fast too. So for today, for this post, I am going to focus on them.

Yep. These guys.



Lately I have been painfully aware of their rapid speed in growing and maturing and becoming MEN! Not only are they outgrowing their clothes faster than I can replenish the supply, but their little minds are growing ever more keen to the craziness of this cruel world faster than I can intercept. I am convinced that this is the hardest part of being a mother, watching them grow and change and not being able to hang on to their innocence. Conner just lost TWO teeth in as many days! His little face has been altered before I even have had a chance to remember what it looked like before! Thank heavens for digital cameras.


Where in the world did THESE days go? When their little faces were barely getting used to those new BABY teeth?




Gosh, this seems like just yesterday! Where has the time gone? Looking back, I would not have changed a thing, except for maybe I would have ENJOYED it more. Maybe I would have been MORE PRESENT and less eager to get on to the next phase.


If you can't tell from this photo, the boys were admiring their pet snail (he lasted one whole day). We found him at the park and the boys insisted we bring him home. I didn't realize at the time, but life is a lot like that snail. It seems to creep by ever so slowly at times, and then, it is gone before we even realize it or can appreciate it.I remember I was glad to see that snail go, but I am not so glad to see my boys grow up. Recently I was able to spend some QUALITY time with each of my boys, on separate occasions. These times just sort of FELL into my lap, and honestly, they were a wake up call to me. Steve took Lewis on his very first hunting trip. . .


And while they were away, Conner and I stayed home and took care of Baby Brayden and spent some special moments together. During our three days of one on one time together, I was reminded of a few things about my sweet Conner. I thought it was curious that some of his little personality traits kind of CAME OUT OF HIDING once his best sidekicks (Lewis and Dad) were hundreds of miles away. One of his best traits is his GREAT ability to work, HAPPILY! He loves to take on a job, especially cleaning or organizing. He was such a great helper with the simple little tasks that he sometimes complains about when Lewis is here with him. I think since it was just him and me, it made folding laundry more special! He even helped me put away the summer clothes and organize the cold weather things. He. like me, appreciates a job well done!


Another thing I was able to RE-appreciate about Conner during our days, was his creativity. I promised him we would put out the Halloween decorations and he was ALL about it! I had to TONE DOWN some of his ideas, but he happily agreed and we got it all done before the baby woke up (that was our goal)!


We had such a good time just doing the simplest of things, but I also felt the need to do something special for him (equal to that of hunting since Lewis and dad were doing that). We went out to eat at Pirate Island Pizza (his choice) so he could blow money on the arcade games and rack up as many tickets as possible! He doesn't like to spend them all on one BIG, cool prize either. He likes to bring home a bunch of little treasures (junk) and this makes him so happy. The next night we decided to get a movie from the Red Box and watch it together after the baby went to sleep. He had a hard time staying awake, but REALLY wanted to because it was just us! What a cute little boy. He really does appreciate the simple little things in life and I wish I could bottle him up and keep him this little forever!


So, that is the story of Conner and me and our TOGETHER time lately. It was so great to have those few days with just him. Then, Steve and Lewis came home on Sunday and by Sunday night, Lewis had a fever and cough. I know. . .SWINE FLU scare for sure! I kept him home from school (obviously) the next day and we sort of banished him to the basement. Steve stayed home from work that day and kind of looked after him and kept him away from the baby and me. He also took him into the after hours night clinic that night. Luckily, Lewis didn't have H1N1, but he did have the regular old flu and an ear infection.

So, Tuesday I kept him home from school again. He was still banished to the basement, but he went the whole day without a fever and was acting more like himself again by the afternoon.


In between bursts of much needed rest, we spent time together watching a movie, doing homework and practicing his story for the Storytellers Festival coming up. He has been so cute lately with wanting to do EVERY SINGLE activity he hears about at school. He came home last month begging to be in the school choir which requires two mornings per week of early morning practices. The day he came home with THAT idea, there just so happened to be a choir concert at the high school in which some of my young women were performing. I decided to bring Lewis along. We had a super great time, but he decided he wanted to wait until 5th grade to commit to choir. What a funny boy. Anyway, about a week before his bout with the flu, he came home with this Storyteller's Festival permission slip in which he begged me to sign. I can totally see Lewis being GREAT at this endeavor, but it's going to take a LOT of practice. He has decided to learn a fairy tale to perform. He wants to do Rumpelstiltskin, but I am trying to convince him to do this super funny version of Rapunzel which I think would be hilarious! I haven't convinced him yet, but he is realizing there might be some benefits to doing Rapunzel since it rhymes and might be easier to remember. Nonetheless, it was fun watching him practice his budding storytelling skills!

Also during his days of banishment, I found Lewis happily involved in the activities he does best; reading and drawing.


He is quite the little artist and has been "INTO" drawing and anything artsy for as long as I can remember.


He has filled more notebooks with drawings and doodles than I can even count! I am amazed at his creativity and what he comes up with. When I was his age, I swear I could draw three things; A clown, a dog and a house with a rainbow and tree along side it. He has drawn HUNDREDS of different things and they are all amazing and full of character. Here is a sampling of some of his "sick day" drawings:
Pretty great huh?! I think he must be in a Halloween sort of mood and I am loving the way he is using black outlines and coloring in the images. It is so cute. He has a variety of different drawing methods, from pencil sketching to ink to full color. Something for whatever mood he's in at the time.

Well, even though being sick is NO fun at all. I have to admit, I did enjoy being able to take care of Lewis a little more than usual. He is so big now and independent. It was kind of nice to be NEEDED a little by him to take his temperature, bring him meals and administer his meds. By Wednesday, he was still not able to go to school and he was also nixed from being able to square dance in his school's "Harvest Hop" which he had been practicing for and anticipating for weeks. We ended up taking him to the Hop (since he was fever free) but he was only able to watch his brother and his classmates dance from the side lines.


He said he felt sort of sad for not being able to actually dance, but he said it was kind of fun being able to stay home and take it easy for a few days. After all, he had had a BIG weekend (his first ever DEER HUNT) and he is usually so wrapped up in all his football, scouts and piano activities, that it was nice to have some time to chill. Plus, being a SUPER TERRIFIC nine-year-old is pretty hard work too!
Yep! I am certainly so thankful for these little/big dudes! I am happy with the boys that they are and the men they are becoming and I am SOOOOOO happy they are mine!

5 comments:

lisa said...

what sweet guys! Thanks for all of your comments on my blog. It was so nice to come home from a busy-Monday-at-the-end-of-the-term and have a few messages to read. It's nice to know that someone cared to read! Thanks you made my day!

SarahMarie said...

I have to say I love your boys and your family. You all have been wonderful to me and these boys are great. I love spending time with them. This was a great post to read.

The Walch Family said...

I just wanted to tell you to enjoy them. They are growing so fast.. and before you know it... you will be looking forward to their weekly email when they are on their mission...(sob...sob...waahhh!) Seriously... way to fast. Hug them extra tight tonight! Love you tons!

jen said...

Those pictures of Lewis as a little boy look just like caleb when he was little...wow time warp!

Laura and her boys! said...

Steph, this is such a sweet post! I love how you put things into words. You just have a great way of expressing what you feel. It is nice to have one on one time with each child. I really want to start a mommy/son night with each of the boys. Maybe one a month or make them earn it like you do! I love getting ideas from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...