background

Monday, June 16, 2008

Eight is Great!

Sometimes the best plans don't produce the best results. I think it is safe to say that this particular birthday fits that description. So much planning and care went into this little party. I'm always afraid that the actual party might not live up to this boy's dreams and expectations. He is such a party planner and every year I go through this. I kind of jot down little notes inside my head when I hear him mention something about his upcoming party. Like the other day, he mentioned that he wanted to try breakfast in bed. We have the pancake tradition for birthdays, but we've never done breakfast in bed for them before, but I thought, why not? Well, at around 6:30 this morning I heard the door of the boys' room open. I pictured Lewis peeking out to see if we were awake yet, waiting to start his big day. I tried to shrug it off, but I couldn't go back to sleep knowing he was waiting in his bed for breakfast! So I got myself up and made the Krusteaz, just add water, version of pancakes and tried to do the breakfast tray up special. Then I woke up Steve and told him to get the video camera ready. He did and then we opened Lewis' door and began singing Happy Birthday. To my surprise, Lewis was COMPLETELY and UTTERLY asleep! He kind of acted excited when he saw the food, but he wasn't totally waiting for it like I thought (I'm thinkin' it must have been Conner who opened the door fifteen minutes prior). Anyway, he was super cute, but really sleepy. I felt HORRIBLE for waking him up. He said he was just really tired from not getting much sleep in the night. When we asked him why, he said he was too excited for his birthday. Geesh! So, I took my tray and said it would be waiting for him when he was ready. He snuggled back into bed and Conner, dad and I left the room. He popped out about a minute later and said he was ready, but the whole rest of the day, he seemed really tired. Strike one for me!

The next strike occurred at the "friend" party we threw for Lewis at the park. If I would have known a week ago that it was going to be so dang windy today, I would NOT have planned this park party. It was OUT of CONTROL windy. Couldn't even light the candles on the cake windy! Picture table cloths, plastic cups and cake blowing everywhere-NON stop! Of course, the kids didn't seem to mind, but I was completely worn out by the time the party ended. That wind just really sucked the life out of me! Well, that and the blasted 105 degree heat! So, I guess strike two for me (or the wind?).

The last strike came when I didn't follow through with my plans to take Lewis to Texas Road House for his birthday dinner. I don't know why I told him we would do that? He mentioned it a few days ago and it sounded GREAT at the time. But, I also hadn't paid for all the party goods yet. This was supposed to be a small, low key affair. Life is expensive however. All the little details add up to be so much! I couldn't pour one more dollar into this birthday by the time dinner came. I know, I am AWFUL!!!! Strike three, I'm OUT! Of course, Lewis is the sweetest, most appreciative little boy EVER! He didn't complain at all when I said we'd have to postpone the "going out to dinner" plans. He suggested fish sticks instead! How great is he? I sure love this kid!

Of course, there are some great things that did go right on this birthday. Here is a list of those so this birthday doesn't go down in history as the biggest flop ever!

Lewis, Your 8 THE GREAT Birthday List

1. All but one of your pals made it to your party.:)
2. You got TWO new boxes of Pokemon cards!
3. You had a blast running around the water park with your friends.
4. Brother Johansen (your CTR 5 teacher) called you AGAIN on this birthday! How awesome is he?
5. You had water fights with your dad and brother for hours tonight using all your new water guns and balloons!
6. You started thinking about the kind of dog you might want to get someday!
7. Grandma Peterson sent you a great E- Card!
8. You turned 8 and you're ready to be baptized!

 
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEWIS!!!!

10 comments:

Mindi said...

i'm sure he loved every minute of it!

just wait til you have more. you will get better at sucking at it!! :) (spoken like the slacker i am)

The Grantham Family said...

Looks like he had a great day! I am laughing at your strikes....but it sure makes for a great story. You had good intentions right!? I am up for breakfast in bed any day...but yea Steph 6:30 might be a little before the sun is shining!

Anonymous said...

Steph-It looks like he had a fabulous time!

It sounds as if your like me and plan too much to stop and enjoy them having fun, your intentions were all in the right place and I am sure he will remember this party as being just as awesome as any other!

Lewyville said...

I still remember when you were carrying Lewis around in an infant car seat...he loved to play (chew) necklaces:) Happy Birthday! it is crazy that he is 8!

Vanes said...

That is hilarious! I can completely relate! Things rarely turn out how I have them pictured in my mind - thank goodness kids don't care! They are just excited to have one day a year focused on THEM!!
*Can you believe we have 8 year olds (I almost do!) We are getting OLD!
*Call Julie Ashcroft to help you with your #6 cake (from baseball) - she loves it!! 628-0668

SarahMarie said...

I knew something important was going on yesterday at your house and I was right next door. I should have come over. Well we will have to come over and see you. I also wante to get Lewis some pokemon cards for his big day. Well you did wonderful for his special day.

Amy M. said...

Steph,
You such a great mother. Hannahs eight year old birthday was my favorite...of course because of the baptism. The only birthday that I think mothers are excited to have their children turn. (oh, and maybe 18...ha ha)

Taz-n-Family said...

Tag! (I think you might have done it already, though!)

You are such an inspiration as a mom! Keep it up!

Kyle.Sharo.Chase.Matti.Cole.Zach said...

Hi guys,

Don't know if you remember us at all, but I saw you on the stathams blog and had to look at yours (hope you don't mind!) Your family is so cute! We miss St. George! I loved your quote from Pres. Hinckley and I hope you don't mind but I copied and put the same one on my blog. Thanks!! I hate it when people do that, but it was so fitting.
Check out our blog so you can remeber who we are! Thanks again,
Kyle and Sharo Burtenshaw

Laura and her boys! said...

Steph, you are such a perfectionist! The party was awesome in spite of the wind! And once again, your writing is beautiful. It makes me jealous that i'm not better, but at least i'm doing something. Anyway, the strike out idea was perfect. Great job girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...