background

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Year End Wrap Up!

I saw this on Tib's blog last year and LOVED how simple and concise it was at re-capping the year, yet I never followed through with completing it myself. So, I am taking the bull by the horns this year and FINISHING it! Only problem is, this year was ALL ABOUT BABY for us, so the answers are pretty redundant, not as exciting as my 2008 re-cap might have been, but still a re-cap. So, without further adieu-in all it's glory-2009!

1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?

Ate NUTELLA! I am so in love:)

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?


I made PROGRESS towards some new year's resolutions but did not reach my overall goals in any of the problem areas of my life. My resolutions were things like: live in the moment, treasure the little things, drop the guilt etc. etc. Like I said, I made baby steps but still have a LONG way to go. This year I am already getting a jump start on going further with those goals with the help of this super fun book that came in the mail yesterday. I am hoping that this will help me break some old habits and set some new standards for greatness for me and my family!

I also am going to continue the tradition of picking a Word of the Year -I did this last year (I don't think I ever posted ANYTHING about it, but I thought of it often). I was amazed at how many times my word would pop into my head at difficult or overwhelming moments and it calmed me. My word for 2009 was: cherish. This year, my word will be: SEIZE. As in SEIZE the Day or SEIZE the moment. This will be my year to GET it DONE and quit procrastinating. It is my ONLY resolution because I think everything else will fall into place if I can get a grip on this one stumbling block of mine.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

YES! Some extended family, some friends, and FINALLY-me (hallelujah)!

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Sadly, I did attend one funeral this year. A fellow co-worker and friend.

5. What countries did you visit?


Never left the United States. Hardly left St. George.

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?


More sleep and the ability to fit into my regular pants (as opposed to maternity and/or larger sized pants).

7. What date from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

May 14th. Brayden made his debut!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Bringing a healthy boy into the world and conquering breastfeeding!

9. What was your biggest failure?


Not being able to keep up on all the housework, to do lists, quality time with family etc. etc. without losing my cool.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Not really. Just battled the little bout of baby blues that I always get after I have my babies. The only difference this time was that I was more aware of it, confronted it head on, came to terms with the fact that it is a hormone adjustment thing for me, and found ways to deal with it as best I could!

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Um, the Bemis Easy Change Toilet Seat. I know, strange answer. Especially considering the fact that we bought a new vehicle this year too (our beloved Toyota Sienna which we love), but seriously-this toilet seat is amazing! It has changed my life:) Obviously, a woman with sons must have invented this. It is completely removable/washable and it makes me giddy every time I clean it:) Brilliant and WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF IT FIRST??? And, if YOU own one, why didn't you tell me about it before 2009???

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Steve- He is truly the most patient, amazing person.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

A few celebrities come to mind, Adam Lambert, Tiger Woods, The Gosselins etc. etc. Thankfully, no one that is close to me.

14. Where did most of your money go?

Brayden, Brayden, Brayden. And he was worth every PENNY, PENNY, PENNY!!!

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?


Anything new having to do with being a mother to a newborn again. I was excited to wash the newborn clothes, get his room ready, go into the hospital to give birth, introduce him to his brothers, bring him home from the hospital, give him his first bath (you get the idea)!

16. What songs will always remind you of 2009?

Let's see, I will pick three:

Taylor Swift, Love Story This was on the radio virtually every time we were in the car. I have memories of Lewis, Conner and me singing at the top of our lungs on the way to school in Beaver Dam EVERY DAY!

Miley Cyrus, The Climb I am not a Miley fan but I have to admit, there were a couple of occasions this year when my baby was screaming for long stretches of time and I would pack him up into his car seat to go for a drive and this song would be on the radio. It actually lifted me up and helped me DEAL with that challenging moment. So, thank you Miley.

And then, for sure: Black Eyed Peas, I Gotta Feeling Just my favorite "feel good" song of the year.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

a) happier or sadder? Happier. We have so much to be thankful for and everything we could have wished for.
b) thinner or fatter? Fatter. I have about 10 pounds to get off/or turn into lean muscle mass!
c) richer or poorer? Both. Richer; In friends and family. Poorer; monetarily. We have less money coming in now and we spent way too much money on Christmas this year. Whatever happened to the days when kids were giddy about getting a stocking with an orange and a fist full of peanuts???

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Sleeping and sleeping.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?


Complaining and worrying.

20. How did you spend Christmas?

Refer to the Christmas post below.

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?

Yes. With my new babe!

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Sadly, I watched WAYYYYYY more T.V. this year due to the large amounts of time I spent camped in front of the tube nursing my baby. Even more sad perhaps is that my favorite shows were the Today Show (with Hoda and KLG) and Dr. Oz type shows. The Kathy Lee Gifford thing is REALLY a shocker to me. She used to bug me to death. I think that is partly why I started watching. Now she is a guilty pleasure to watch and I love to hear her voice her opinions about things.

I guess I just have never had a chance to experience these types of shows before, with being a working girl, so this has been new to me and I have grown to enjoy the little tid bits of info. I get from watching these shows. I have been guilty of holding off my ravenous child for a few extra minutes to be sure I am feeding him during a prime T.V. hour (one that would include either the Oz man or Kathy Lee Gifford). I know, so pathetic.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?

I have no room in my life for hate. There are people I dislike but I just don't include them in my sphere. Hate is a worthless emotion.

24. What was the best book you read?

I really thought that THIS year was going to be my year to get back into books. At the beginning of 2009, I had been TWO years without my beloved book clubs and had gotten out of the reading habit. Unfortunately for me, it has been harder to get BACK INTO it than I thought it would be. I set the bar high by trying to do the FIFTY Book Challenge. A few days ago, I updated my Goodreads shelf and sadly, I only made it half way to my goal. Also, MOST of the books I did read were NON-Fiction! I just couldn't seem to get into the "novel" groove, even with great titles like, The Hunger Games and A Thousand Splendid Suns sitting atop my night stand (both books have gotten RAVE reviews).

So, having said all that and scanning through my Goodreads book shelf, I'd have to say that the BEST book I read this year, was the memoir by Jeannete Walls called, The Glass Castle. It was riveting and a true story of hope and resilience.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Sia, thanks Jen! Love her!

26. What did you want and get?

A healthy baby.

A happy family.

Some contentment.

27. What did you want and not get?


Some sleep. Sigh.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?

I haven't seen The Blind Side yet, but I have a feeling that will top whatever I put on here right now. But, for 2009, I guess the best movie was: Julie and Julia. I know, weird choice, but I didn't see a lot of movies and that one is fresh in my mind and was so inspiring to me. I love when a movie can pleasantly surprise you, which is what this one did. I wasn't expecting much, but ended up loving it and wanting to see the bonus features on the DVD (which are worth watching). I love that the women in this movie had ideas in their little brains and used them to turn their lives around for the better. I also enjoy well written movies and I thought it was so clever (very Sleepless in Seattle-ish) how the two life stories were intertwined so beautifully. Plus, Meryl Streep: amazing!

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I turned 33 this year, I think. Is that right? I have gotten lazy about keeping track. I was born in '76, so you do the math. Anyway, my b-day was on a Sunday and it was all about relaxing and enjoying the day peacefully with family. Just a pleasant day.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

I wish I could say nothing because my year was AMAZING and so fulfilling. But I'd have to say, my year could have been much more satisfying minus the ugly cloud of depression that plagued so many days. It is debilitating and ridiculous. It's so strange to be the happiest you've ever been and at the same time get so overly annoyed and crazy over little, stupid things that really don't matter. Again, hormones are not my friend, but the clouds have lifted and life is looking beautiful again:)

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?

Oh goodness. So very sad. So trying to cover all the flabby areas with whatever is in the closet that will cover it. So trying to look polished and professional in clothes that don't fit quite right. So not wanting to spend money on bigger clothes but not wanting to look silly in the too small duds. A no-win situation really.

2009 was a blur of borrowed maternity clothes, husband's closet raids, and clearance rack specials. Not really my best fashion year (not that I have ever had a good one). Definitely not my best.

32. What kept you sane?

Keeping a routine and saying "NO"! Also, I have to say that I turned to food quite a bit this year, mostly chocolate. Hence the sad fashion sitch.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

I don't know if I fancied any celebrities. I really admired Taylor Swift this year though. She is such a talent powerhouse!

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Healthcare.

35. Who was the best new person you met?

Brayden Taylor Peterson. Of course!

36. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.

Never give up.

37. What are you looking forward to in 2010?

12 year anniversary with my sweetheart.
Conner turning 8.
Finishing some unfinished projects.
Remodeling bathrooms.
Reading more books.
Getting more organized and content.
Girl's Camp.
Family vacations.
Spending lots of time with friends and family.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

It is a tie between these two:

Oh, I just can't get enough.
How much do I need to fill me up?
It feels so good it must be love.
It's everything that I've been dreaming of

I give up, I give in, I let go, let's begin
'Cause no matter what I do,
My heart is filled with you.

-Colbie Caillat, You Got Me

Happiness is just outside my window
Would it crash blowing 80-miles an hour?
Or is happiness a little more like knocking
On your door, and you just let it in?

-The Fray, Happiness

Okay! That was 2009! Looking forward to a FABULOUS 2010! BTW. Are you saying it- "Two-thousand-ten" or "Twenty-ten" ? Just wondering.

5 comments:

Laura and her boys! said...

This is a great post, and I am so stealing it for my own! I love hearing your thoughts and feelings. Once again, you have a way with words. I can't believe you didn't tell me about the toilet seat! I do have 6 boys in my house afterall! I'm so telling Dani :) Thanks for sharing this great post! I love you girl! Happy 2010!

Devin and Tiffany said...

Love this post Steph!! Fun to get a glimpse into your year! I might have to steal the idea!

sunnie said...

If you are already remodeling your bathroom...I want your old shower curtain and Quincy wants your sink.

Kari said...

I really REALLY love this. I've even read it a few times. I'm thinking how much I want to do it. It really makes you reflect on yourself when you read other reflections! Love it.

Lindsay said...

You really had a great year! I love your new pictures. You have the cutest family.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...