background

Friday, July 3, 2009

Come Back Soon Jen!



My friend Jen came to stay with us for 6 glorious days last week and it could not have been any more enjoyable! Well, it COULD have been, actually, if she would have stayed longer, but I'll take what I can get. Jen and I have been friends since our college days when we were roommates. She moved up north about the time Lewis was born and then moved back east five or so years later. I am so thrilled she is back in Utah, even if it's just for a bit. Her husband had been attending law school and has now accepted a job in Dallas so they will be heading there pretty soon. I am hoping to rope Jen into a few more visits to S.G. before then.

We had such a blast catching up, reminiscing about the 'good ol' days' and chasing after our kids together. She has 3 adorable kids about the age of mine and they all ran around like wild banshees, playing like they've been friends forever too. They are a creative bunch and kept us laughing with their funny antics. Our favorite was when Lauryn (Jen's oldest) and Lewis (my oldest) put together a silly interpreting act. Lewis would say something in a made up language and Lauryn would immediately translate everything he was saying, as if she were the expert on this new language. Blogging about it will never do it justice but oh my heck, I was laughing so hard. I sure don't want to forget how funny they were!


Steve occasionally would take the kids swimming or to tennis and Jen and I would escape for shopping, lunching and or to get a massage (isn't Steve the best?), but most of the time, it was GO, GO, GO with all the kids in tow. Here's a pic of the boys at tennis practice one hot morning. Our goal was to wear those kids out! By night fall, we'd gather them up for a treat of some sort and then Steve would play a rollicking game of Sardines before bed. He was pretty much the hero for entertaining those kids and teaching them that game. They loved it!


After the kids were put to bed, Steve, Jen and I would stay up late chatting and laughing some more. She has a memory like a steel trap and can tell the funniest stories and recall memories so vividly. Our favorite thing to do was put the kids to bed and sit around and chat with Jen into the wee hours. She had Steve and me in stitches with some of her stories and recollections.


Jen has a calming effect on me. She is super down to earth and one of the most logical people I know. She is a genius when it comes to newborns and helped me so much with "figuring out" my little Brayden boy. She also pretty much staged an intervention when she noticed me "flying off the handle" a little bit over minor issues. I reminded her that I always get a little "postpartum" with the birth of all my kids and I thought I was handling it quite well. She was a little therapist for me and helped me find ways to get back on track.


Unfortunately, Jen cannot move in with me on a permanent basis, but having her here for that week really filled my tank and reminded me that good friends can make all the difference in the world! Come back soon Jen! You're always welcome here:)

1 comment:

jen said...

Steph had I known i would gets so much praise I would of come down sooner!!! I loved being there with you and letting our kids get to know each other. I can't wait to come back! Also as a side note...my dang tongue still hurts! can you believe that?!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...