background

Monday, May 5, 2008

Life Lessons: Part Two (Lewis Edition)

I want to document a little life lesson that happened to our oldest son, Lewis, this week. I am trying to get him to write it in his journal, but in case I am unsuccessful, it will be here on the blog. For a little background into the story, you gotta know a little bit about Lewis' latest obsession. It started the day he received his first Pokemon cards (I guess one of his school friends gave him some). Now, I remember when these annoying little cards started circulating the first year I taught first grade (over ten years ago). They were super buggy then and just as much so now! As a mom, your first wish is that your kids won't take a liking to them, but if they do, your second wish is that they get the obsession out of their systems soon so they can be lost and forgotten. (I am still pulling for that second wish to take effect.) Anyway, about a week after Lewis began his interest in the darn things, he started asking us if he could buy some at the store. We told him he could if he used his own money. Well, I had no idea that they would cost $13 or I might have said no, but a promise is a promise. So, Steve took him to KB Toy Outlet and Lewis bought his first pack. Now an investment like $13 is a pretty big deal for a 7 year old, so of course we had the discussion about how we take care of things if we want them to last. I suggested he not bring them to school and he didn't for the first couple of days, but then he realized, the whole point in having them is to trade them. So, he started taking them to school. Well, a few days went by and all I heard on the way home from school were detailed, minute by minute, accounts of Lewis' trading scenarios. I was overjoyed as a mother knowing that my son was so great at bartering (I might be a tad sarcastic here) and equally impressed that he could pronounce all the cards' names (yep, JUST as buggy as they were ten years ago). Anyway, flash forward a few more days and I went into the gym after school to get Lewis to go home. He was in a heavy conversation with about three other kids. I walked over to him and realized he was upset about something and was asking 'which one of you stole my cards?' Oh great! I thought. Here we go. As soon as Lewis saw me, he came walking toward me with his little lip quivering. "Mom, someone took all my Pokemon cards!" and then the sobbing began. Now, something about Lewis; he does not like to get upset in front of people. Another thing about him; he is the most sincere and honest person I have ever known. He wouldn't hurt a fly and is ALWAYS concerned about how others feel (this would actually make another good post, there are a few examples to go along with this). So, anyway, we immediately walked out of the gym while he proceeded to tell me about what happened. After consoling him a for a bit, I reminded him that it was a big risk to bring his cards to school because not everyone is as honest and caring as he is. Then he asked this question, "Mom, can I buy some more Pokemon cards?" Of course I knew he would ask it, but I still wasn't sure what to say? I finally gave the standard, 'we'll have to see what dad says' reply and the conversation ended. Poor Lewis! He had invested so much into those cards, time and money and sincere love for the things! But, he needed to learn a lesson here too. So, as a compromise, Steve and I decided he could buy one more set, with his own money, Only one teeny problem, he didn't have quite enough unless he skipped out on his tithing. (So now, the plot totally thickens and this little life lesson begins to have a familiar ring to it.) Now, suddenly we were discussing with Lewis the benefits of paying tithing and waiting until after it is paid before we buys things. "We are always blessed when we pay our tithing" Steve said. Well, he was pretty hesitant but finally, Steve got him to make out his tithing envelope and set it aside and see how much he had left. Steve said he would spot him the few dollars that he needed since he was so faithful with paying his tithing. Well, Lewis was ECSTATIC! He thought for SURE that was his blessing for paying his tithing! Well, it gets better. Steve and both boys drove back over to KB Toy Outlet (this time Conner wanted to buy some too, you know that Conner idolizes Lewis and wants to do EVERYTHING he does). Well, when they got back from the store Lewis came running into the house and said mom, "I totally believe in tithing! It works!" then he proceeded to tell me that he and Conner were both able to get a pack of Pokemon cards for half the price because they were buy one get one free! Wow! How fantastic is that? Now, I know this is kind of a funny little story. Pokemon cards? Could the Lord REALLY be looking out for us in such a matter? Well, I say yes! Because, now I know that my son has an experience under his belt that has helped him gain a testimony of tithing. And isn't it all in the little things where our testimonies are based? I think so. I can honestly say that I am glad Lewis had this life lesson as difficult as it was. And my outlook on Pokemon cards (though still grim) has a little different meaning for me now. I know one day they will not mean as much to the boys as they do now, but instead of throwing them out and forgetting this part of our lives ever existed (something I was hoping for the second the obsession started) I'm thinking we will keep them in a little box somewhere, for Lewis to look back on, as a reminder of this great little life lesson.

3 comments:

SarahMarie said...

Hey Steph- I know what you mean about life lessons. I bought the car all on my own and all my mom could say to me was this will be a lesson you will learn on your own. She told me that even when you think you can do it, be prepared for the unexpected and ready for anything to happen. I was scared at first, but you just have to jump off and take the chance.
Lewis is just a sweet boy and he is so honest to me. He is always the one I turn to for help watching the class or letting me know what really happened. He is a good kid and I have seen him grow so much this year.

Laura and her boys! said...

Steph, this is a great life lesson. You guys are so good teaching them about tithing. I am so bad at this. Half the time I forget to gather the tithing back from them when I have given out the allowance. I too know about these crazy obsessions. My boys were goo goo over YU-GI-OH a couple years ago. They spent way too much money on those cards, and we didn't even get a life lesson out of ours! You are super lucky!

Jaime said...

What a great story! I completely agree about the little things making your testimony! As a teacher, though, I find Pokemon cards just as annoying! They are always getting stolen, and then you have a big mess to figure out! I'm glad though that Lewis is gaining a testimony of tithing, and if it's Pokemon cards that helps that, that is just fine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...