background

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Our Faves This Week, in a Nutshell!

5. Survival of the Fittest- I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing how terribly busy we are! I swear that is all I have been writing about lately. Wish I could say I was exaggerating or that it is slowing down, but it still isn't! Luckily our bodies are starting to adjust to the faster pace of school life and we aren't feeling quite as drained as we have been. So, this week, I am just grateful for this! Grateful that my job is getting easier, the kids are adjusting and becoming more capable, Lewis is complaining LESS about all his homework, Conner is finally falling asleep at a decent hour (he is our night owl) and Steve seems less stressed with his responsibilities. Things are less chaotic all the way around and it feels great! PHEW!

4. Kitchen Closed!- Well, it's official. We finally did what I didn't think was possible. . .we ate out EVERY night this week! Um, we didn't plan for this to happen, it just happened. Am I ashamed of myself? A little bit, but really we had late nights every night this week. The only home cooked meal we could have feasibly enjoyed otherwise would have been chicken nuggets or something else that could be popped in the micro. Anyway, here's how it all went down. Monday, we tried the new "Players Sports Grill" for the first time. It seemed like a fun "Family Night" sort of meal and it was just right there on the way home for us, we couldn't resist. It was really good, inexpensive too. They are gonna have to raise the prices I think, we got a TON of food (really fancy and delish too) for not a lot of dough. We'll definitely be going back. Then, Tuesday, Lewis and I had a few mucho important errands to run and Conner stayed with dad at the school, so they ate left over Player's food and Lewis and I grabbed some Wendy's while we flew all over town. Wednesday we did Wendy's AGAIN (let's just say Conner wasn't too thrilled that Lewis got a kid's meal without him). Thursday, another crazy errand day plus Cub Scouts and Bajio was just right there, so I used our free meal coupons and got us some great food on the cheap. Friday was leftover day! Can you believe that?! Kitchen was closed all week! I'll definitely have to step it up this next week.

3. No "Waste" of Time- I'll spare you the gory details, but Lewis' scout troop took an interesting field trip out to the city sewer/water plant. Since it was on our way home from school, we met the troop there and Conner wanted to stay and see where all the "business" goes. I tell ya, you gotta have a TOUGH stomach to handle walking around this place, let alone work there. It is a crazy process. I had never really thought about how the whole process worked before. I mean, I know you flush and it all goes to some place, I just never realized it ALLLLL went to ONE big place-at once! Also, I didn't know that waste eating bugs are bread and kept thriving and they are the first step in the purification process. Did you know that? They take a trip around this HUGE lazy river type thing (that is MEGA deep) and they just eat away like it's a huge buffet. Anyway, I said I'd spare ya the gory details and here I am dishing it all out. Trust me, it is gross. I think I was better off not knowing. I do have a greater appreciation for the municipal water system and the people that keep it going though. It is a multi million dollar establishment and it runs very well. I couldn't believe how clean the water looked from the first step to the last. I am, however, going to be even MORE freakish than I already was about what water I will drink. Gotta say, I did NOT need to be more paranoid about that. But, this was an interesting field trip, very informative and the kids learned a lot.



2. Eagle Scout Project- We love that this kid wanted to do his Eagle project at our little school. It needs some TLC and the kids are going to be stoked when they see the new makeover that was done on the Eagle playground. First he got templates to paint 4 square and hop-scotch courts (he and his crew painted 6 of each to be exact). Second, he installed a tether ball pole with adjoining rope and ball. Next, lines were burned and drawn out on the soccer field. Finally, he made sure that new nets on the basketball hoops were installed. It looks awesome and they seemed to get it done in no time! What a cool kid!


1. A Relaxing Weekend- We had no real agenda, no time frame. It was nice. On Saturday, the boys played with their cousins and went swimming in the afternoon with Steve and I finished organizing the preschool files for Marcy (she is the friend of mine who has been teaching my preschool for me while I've been fulfilling my kindergarten responsibilities. She does a great job and I'm so glad she was willing to take on the challenge). Saturday night we got to watch Sunnie and Quincy's little ones and as a trade, Sunnie (homemaker extraordinaire') provided us with dinner! We totally had it made (one more night to keep the kitchen closed) and those kids of theirs were a blast!
Sunday was great today. I was little ornery this morning with trying to get ready and out the door by 9. I don't know why this is such a challenge. We manage to be out the door by 7:30 the rest of the week? Anyway, it was great to have all the negativity washed away as I listened to the wonderful messages and sang the hymns. I was especially touched by the fifth and sixth verse of "Come Follow Me." We usually only sing verses 1-4. I don't remember ever singing the fifth and sixth, but it was just the reminder that I needed and I know I'll keep it with me as I face another challenging week. It says;
We must the onward path pursue
As wider fields expand to view,
And follow him unceasingly,
Whate'er our lot or sphere may be.
For thrones, dominions, kingdoms, pow'rs,
And glory great and bliss are ours,
If we throughout eternity,
Obey his words, "Come follow me."
Ahhh. Isn't that great? And, to cap off a fabulous Sunday, we had our fun neighbors over for some peach cobbler and some laughs. Oh, life is good! Hope next week brings more fun and less stress- to you too!

9 comments:

SarahMarie said...

When I was in college we had to go to the sewer plant and the waste water treatment plant. Both places were hard to take and the sewer plant really really smelled bad. I know what you mean about having the kitchen closed. IF I did not have my grandpa I would be eating out all the time. I am glad I have him. I am glad things at school are getting better for you. I am slowly getting there. See you tomorrow.

Lindsay said...

Glad to see your surviving. I don't see anything wrong with eating out either. Especially since you found some great deals. I am so excited about the playground. The kids are going to love it.

Our chorister in our ward sings all the verses to every song. Sometimes it is a little annoying, but she says that if you don't sing all of them you don't get the whole story. Isn't that so true! The last verses are some of the best ones anyways.

Laura and her boys! said...

Sewer plant sounds awesome! Not! My students always freak that astronauts drink recycled pee and sweat. I ask them what they think they drink? It's all recycled baby! Gross huh?

Jod Jas Curtis said...

Gosh, I always think I am so busy!!! You take the cake girl :) I love looking at your blog- pictures - life! Loved your self Tag, I need to do that still.
Hope all is great- even as crazy busy as we get huh?!
Luvs
jodi

Kari said...

Sundays are hard to get out the door, cause nobody says we HAVE to be at church. It's on OUR time. School is different. I'm lazy too when it comes to Sunday. But you know what? We're there, aren't we? This is what matters! I thought the same about the 5th and 6th verse. I really felt the spirit. It was really strong in Sacrament meeting wasn't it? Such the thing I needed! Thanks for sharing those verses.

Tammy said...

I'm just impressed that you can spell ornery. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't know how you do it all, but you do a great job at it!

I think I am a little grossed out about the sewer plant-I had no idea and I don't know if I want to anymore either!

Have a great week...

tiburon said...

I am exhausted just reading that!

Jessica said...

I feel your pain in the busy department! It seems like we have similar weeks! My saving grace has been Signature Suppers! If I didn't have one thawed out each night ready to go, we would be eating out as well! Enjoy your up coming week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...