background

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sunday

We left the Taylor house early to catch a sacrament meeting and then head to Tooele to visit my sweet grandma. Before we left, I snapped a few final pics so the boys could remember the fun they had at the "Taylor Fun House"(that is what we call it). They bought the best little house. The entire downstairs is nothing but a party zone! So much fun. They have a large theatre room with the projection screen and the works, a fun game room with the pool table, foozball combo and a really fun play room as well. The kids could have spent the entire four days just hanging out in this space and they would have been happy campers!
In front of the GIANT fish tank!

One thing I thought was funny is that the Taylor boys sleep shirtless at night, so my boys thought they needed to do that as well. When we got back from the play, I went in to check on them and all four of them were sleeping without their shirts. I know this might seem like a normal thing to most people, but I am a a huge pajama freak. I LOVE kids in jammies. I love looking at my boys fast asleep in their little scooby doo or space jammies, anything like that, so the boys had never heard of this shirtless sleeping before! Anyway, I've talked them back into wearing both the tops and bottoms of their pajamas since we've been home (Lewis got some sort of bug bite on his chest and that sealed the deal) but I took these pictures to remember how funny I thought those boys looked as they were playing in their fun NEW pajamas Sunday morning.


The rest of our Sunday was a little depressing. We stopped to see my 96 year old Grandma at the rest home in Tooele. She is not doing well at all. The last time we went she was still her lively, fun, happy self! Just 9 months have passed and she couldn't even stay awake for our visit. She really didn't have a clue who we were and after we left, when my mom got there, she asked if 'Stephanie and the boys had come to visit' and she said, "No. No one ever comes to visit me." We had brought her a beautiful bouquet of flowers for her birthday and kept trying to get her to smell them (she loves flowers) and she would comment and say how much she liked them, but then fall right back to sleep. Each time we would wake her up (the nurses persisted that we do this to "stimulate" her), she would say, "Well for heaven's sake!" One of her cute little phrases and we would be so excited that she would chat with us but then her eyes would glaze over and she would stare off and then fall asleep. Finally we just sat and held her hand for a little bit. It was sooooo heart wrenching to see this decline in her spirit. She really wants to just go. The sad thing about it is, being at a nursing home, those nurses will be able to keep her alive much longer than if she were just at home. What kind of life is it to be stuck in such a miserable place? Oh, if only we lived closer to her. I would like to think that we could visit her at least a few times a week, be something for her to look forward to. I think she is just too far gone now. It was a very sad event and I hope that she will soon get her wish to be with our grandpa again very soon. We didn't take any pictures this time, it didn't seem appropriate. Here are some photos of the last time we were there (in November) and how her sweet personality and vigor was still with her. Had I known that would be the last time to get a glimpse of that grandma, the one I knew and adored all of my growing up, I would have snapped a million more pictures. I miss this lady!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

So sad. I miss Grandma too. We visited her at Christmas time, and we had to keep repeating everything we said. It was hard to see her like that. It sounds like she's gotten worse. I wished we lived closer too!

Laura and her boys! said...

Grandmas are so sweet, and it is really sad when they go in death, but it is even more sad when they go before death. The last time I visited my Grandma, it was stunning to see how frail she was. She used to be so vigorous. She was so excited to see us that I too wish we lived closer!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...