background

Monday, February 18, 2008

Smitten








Valentine's Day this year was so different than it has been in many years past. In the past few years, some friends and I have gotten together and taken our kids to an afternoon movie for V-Day and then Steve and I would get a sitter and go out to dinner later that night. This year was a far cry from that! Not only did we not get to go to the movie (we were all at school) but both Lewis and Conner wound up being pretty sick. Poor Conner. He wanted to stay at school soooo badly! He did not want to miss the party! However, he came down with a fever and Steve ended up taking him home. So much for getting a sitter! We spent the night administering meds to our boys and disinfecting the house! All was not lost however! Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. Those sweet students of mine loaded me up with stuffed animals, chocolates and all sorts of other goodies! My favorite had to be the little framed heart from Fabiola with the card she picked out to go with it. Her parents do not speak any English and so the card read, "To Two Very Special Grandparents on Valentine's Day." She was beaming to give it to me. Their family is very poor and I could tell it was a sacrifice for them to give me this gift. I will cherish it always! Also, two of my students gave me some stuffed dogs. I let Lewis and Conner adopt one for each of them and they have been constant companions all week long! My kids have never been real big on stuffed animals, but they have been so cute with these dogs. Conner named his Sparky and Lewis named his Golden. Both boys tuck them in to a little bed each night and make me "babysit" them when they need to go off and do other things. They are truly smitten over their Valentine's Day pets. Perhaps my favorite part of this Valentine's Day though came in the form of flowers, delivered to the school by my sweet husband. I think this is the first time he has sent me flowers at work. It was super fun to get them and they are still making our home look beautiful! So, although this V-Day did not include any of our tried and true traditions of years' past, it ended up being just as memorable and fun!

5 comments:

Allison said...

It sounds like you still had a great day! It's not fun to have sick kids! I'd rather be sick than have my kids be sick. So cute about Conner and Lewis and there new pets! My kids have always ended up attached to one stuffed animal. It's pretty cute! Beautiful flowers too! What a great husband you have!!!

Erin Fonnesbeck said...

I laughed out loud when I read the part about the cute little card given to you. That is just so sweet and reminds me of my old students here in Vegas. That is just the cutest thing I have heard all day.

raw mom said...

did you see it on the wal mart commercial? that's funny! you can have it....i need a new one..it's been up for a while!
oxoxo

The Grantham Family said...

Sick kids are noooo fun...especially on a lovers holiday! I am glad you still had a great one. Sounds like you have some funny little ones in your class. Too cute!

Amy M. said...

Steph,
What a cute post. I love the part about the Grandparents Valentines card. I can only imagine how much you mean to those children!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...