background

Monday, November 10, 2008

The 50 Book Challenge!

The 50 Book Challenge!
I completely stole this entire post off of my friend's website. I have been looking for a great new year's resolution and I think this will be it. My life is SOOOO different than it was two years ago. Two years ago, I was a part of two book clubs and read all the time. Now the only reading I do is informational type reading for school or lame magazine reading for "vegging"! So, I am going to take this 50 book challenge and see how far I get! This information is available on the Shelfari website.
When asked about the new Amazon Kindle product, Steve Jobs CEO of Apple computer had this to say: “It doesn’t matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don’t read anymore,” he said. “Forty percent of the people in the U.S. read one book or less last year. The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don’t read anymore.”
Basically .... the challenge is to read 50 books in one year. Or...establish a goal for yourself it's up to you.

The books the Shelfari staff loved in 2007:
1. Harry Potter the final - 15 votes 2. The Kite Runner - 12 votes 3. A Thousand Splendid Suns - 11 votes 4. Twilight - 5 votes 4. The Thirteenth Tale - 5 votes

With 4 votes each:Water For Elephants, The Road, The Red Tent, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Middlesex, Eat, Pray, Love

With 3 votes each:Eclipse, My Sister's Keeper, Suite Francaise, Shadow of the Wind, The Lovely Bones, Jane Eyre, His Dark Materials (plus 3 honorable mentions), The Glass Castle, Girl With the Pearl Earring, Darkly Dreaming Dexter

With 2 votes each:19 Minutes, Black Swan Green, Dogs of Babel, Heart-Shaped Box, In the Woods, Into the Wild, Kafka on the Shore, On Chesil Beach, The Book Thief, The Memory Keepers Daughter, The Stolen Child, No Country for Old Men, Marley and Me, New Moon

This will SERIOUSLY be a challenge for me, but I am up for it! Happy Reading!!!

12 comments:

Renee said...

I wish you luck on your new year's resolution1 My resolutions seem to be the same each year, so maybe something fresh like this would actually get accomplished! Thanks for the idea.

Jaime said...

I so think I want to do this! How fun is this going to be? What a perfect resolution!
Jaime

Tammy said...

Maybe if they were all really short I could pull it off...but it took me all summer and into fall just to read the Twilight series. But it's definitely a worthy goal. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I am in that 40%, sad to say. I am a magazine guru though!

Go for it!!

jen said...

Thanks for all the new yummy books to read!!! I have read about half of them already and most of them are really good. Can a just suggest that glass castle should be more than just an honorable mention. It is one of my favorite books...very thought provoking. But my all time fav book on that list is A thousand splended suns. Its right up there with the Good Earth!

emurdock said...

You are my hero! I think I want to do this. I have read some of these books so I think I will add a few of my own.

Lindsay said...

You really must be Wonder Woman! As busy as you are and reading on top of that?! You know I think you are awesome and good luck! I barely get my reading done for my class. And I will say that I will be so glad when it is over.

Sunny and Tom Richins said...

Thanks for the list of book recommendations. I have been looking for some good recommendations for my new love of reading.

tiburon said...

I am not a big reader either. But I will see what I can do :)

Laura and her boys! said...

50 books? That's kid's play for me! LOL I do read though, so I love this challenge, and I'll totally take it with you girl. Eat, Love, Pray was an awesome book. Start with that one!

Amy M. said...

O.K. so reading is not my strong point, but I love that you are taking on the challenge. O.K. so it has been forever since I have seen or talked with you. I actually was commenting on you the other day. About what a great group of friends I have met over the years, and your personality being so down to earth and non-judgemental. Hey, even though we may not see each other a ton, I love your friendship.

Vanes said...

Will you keep us posted on your reading and your favorite one's?! I'm in the 1-2 books a year category - not too much of a reader! I might set a 5 book goal (that would be BIG for me!!) I look forward to updates!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...